Weekly Writing Challenge: Defying Expectations
As writers, we try to avoid clichés and work to create something original. But sometimes, you can turn to those same assumptions and subvert them into something interesting and unexpected. By playing off old superstitions or setting up assumptions in order to contradict them , these prompts are the opposite of what one would expect.
- Write a story where the number 7 proves to be very unlucky.
- Write a story or poem based on lines from Christmas carols…that has nothing to do with Christmas.
- Write a story or poem that goes backwards in time.
- Write a humorous story about death.
- “That was excellent. I’d give it a C-.” Include this statement somewhere in your story.